Thursday, December 24, 2009

I keep forgetting...

...that I need to count on an alarm, rather than roosters to give me an early start to the day...
...toilet paper goes in the TOILET...
...there is no need to check the bathroom for cockroaches before I set anything down...

It was snowing when I got up this morning - just a friendly reminder that my days of passing every minute outside are over for the time-being. I guess I could sit outside in the snow if I really wanted to...
The past week has been full with saying goodbye to my DR travel-partners and reconnecting with friends and family.
Once we arrived in the Dominican Republic back in September, we went through orientation as we became familiar with the DR culture. Just last week, before we left the DR, we went through some debriefing as we prepared to adjust back into Bethel life and the American culture. We affectionately named this time period "dis-orientation". Let's just say culture shock hits a lot harder when you go backwards.
While I know it will continue to take time in order to feel comfortable here again, I'm loving being with my family and catching up on all that I missed during the last few months.
My philosophy: jump right in the middle of what scares me if I really want to get through culture shock...or should I say climate shock this time??

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you, DRoomie. I still think FL is cold. The other day, I realized how fat America is overall. That was an interesting discovery. Never noticed it until yesterday. I still have to think about the fact that I need to put the toilet paper in the toilet... hahah

    ReplyDelete